Lately I have been practising mindfulness and gratitude a lot more. A few months back I had a lot of trouble enjoying things especially the small things that used to give me so much joy. The more I am mindful and practise gratitude the easier it becomes to enjoy these small things in life. I am so grateful that slowly my love for small things is coming back.
Here are some of my favorite things that warm up my heart:
- The first day of the year when it is warm enough outside so you can ride your bike without needing a jacket. When the sun is shining on your skin, but there is still a little breeze.
- Walking barefoot over the grass, feeling all the grass blades touch your skin. Especially early in the summer mornings when the grass is still cool.
- Writing the first word in a new notebook.
- Smiling to strangers and having short conversations with them.
- Drinking tea from a really big mug.
- Eating an apple which is perfectly red.
- Seeing wild animals walking through our garden.
- Still being warm from working out, but then stepping out of the gym when it is cold outside.
- Taking off my socks in the middle of the night when laying in bed.
- Running in a really strong wind.
- Recharging my crystals when it is the full moon.
- Feeling the water from the shower fall onto my skin.
- Singing and dancing like a crazy person through the house when no one is home.
- Seeing a buzzard fly above me, for some reason I feel like I have some sort of connection to these animals. I always see one when I have a really bad or good day.
- Going for a very early bike ride in summer.
- Drinking really cold water after a workout or dance class.
- Talking about old memories with friends I haven’t seen in a very long time.
- A hurting stomach and shoulders from laughing for minutes straight.
- Spending the day together with my sister, dancing and singing to ’80s music and watching movies.
- Redecorating my room, creating a new place full of positive energy.
- Taking a deep breath outside when it has been freezing, the air is so clean and crisp.
- Looking at the moon, realising that my problems are actually very small and that everything will be ok.
- Being so passionate about something that I forget the time and don’t even want to go to the toilet.
- Being grateful that I said ‘yes’ to a great experience that I actually wanted to say ‘no’ to, because I was afraid to go.
- A big hug from my mother.
- climbing a tree, playing video games with the neighbours, which makes me feel like a child again.
- Laying near the fireplace after a really long and cold bike ride or walk.
- Running through the meadows with my dog, knowing that I will never be as fast as her.
- Doing a body scan experiencing all the different feelings in my body.
- And finally YOU warm up my heart, reading my blog, commenting and liking my posts. Thanks you so much for the support!
When I feel down I love thinking about these things. Because even though I am not really experiencing these things in the moment, they still give me a feeling, a smile on my face when thinking about it. Just like Maria sang in ‘The Sound Of Music’:
‘When the dog bites,
When the bee stinks,
When I’m feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don’t feel so bad’
Let’s not even get started on all the amazing elements in that movie, probably one of the movies I have watched most in my entire life!
What are some of your favorite little things that warm up your heart?
I am super excited to know!